This updated update is for all GroundWork customers running 7.x software and desiring to use the new GroundWork Iframe Portlet in complex ways. This is a trivial change and can be rolled back as easily.
This Technical Bulletin provides a documented and scripted method of applying the changes listed in http://jira/browse/GWMON-13506 which address issues related to writing the client side page. There are two issues addressed, described here.
The error message
at the bottom of the screen is transient, it disappears once the page is loaded. There may be issues with loading if the refresh interval is smaller than the time required to load a very big dashboard (Grafana dashboards are popular).
However, what the error message is indicating is that the top-level portal decoration content, (including the banner and menu bar), is no longer displayed. This has been confirmed visually. While true, it is also evident that the page URL is unchanged. Refreshing the page brings the portal back.
Just before the message above is rendered, a "Loading" alert interstitial dialog is displayed. It was not immediately clear where this alert was originating. One thing worth noting is that the IFrame content is fairly heavy and might indeed be taking time to render.
Issue One To repair, new portal-groundwork-base.war attempts to render IFrame using innerHTML instead of document.write() which can replace the entire document if executed after page is loaded. This likely explains what the customer might see: this is likely a client-side timing/race issue.
Issue Two To reoair, "Loading..." alert dialog issue is related to timeouts on busy connections/servers for portal ajax calls related to selecting tabs/panels on pages where these are defined. The new patched portal.war file to be installed in the /usr/local/groundwork/jpp/gatein/gatein.ear directory suppresses the alert for these calls to the server. Modifications made to iframe.jsp.
- You need to be running GroundWork Monitor Enterprise, version 7.2.2 or 7.2.1
- This technical bulletin does not depend upon prior technical bulletins
- There is a need to schedule a downtime to apply this technical bulletin (time required is restart of gwservices, ~ 5 minutes)
To use the new GWOS Iframe Portlet, which is not a choice in the basic install, you must do these steps independently of the patch:
- Log in to the portal as the Portal Administrator Account
- Navigate to Group => Portal Administration => Application Registry
- Choose Import Applications
From this point you can now create pages (covered elsewhere in documentation) using the GWOS Iframe Portlet found under the Web heading.
- As the root user, copy the attached tarball to an empty directory on the GW server already in place.
- Unpack the tarball using the command:
- Change into the directory created by untarring:
- Run the installer script:
The install script will test that you are on a 7.2.1 or 7.2.2 system (which is required), that you have not already installed this patch, and that you want to go ahead.
- Respond to the install-confirmation prompt when it appears.
- New files will be copied into place. Monitoring in general can continue while this patch is installed; there is a momentary restart of the web service which may terminate some user sessions.
Once this is installed you will be able to use the GWOS Iframe Portlet for complex dashboards without issues.
Reversal of this patch will remove the changes made to the GW server by restoring the previously backup up files. This will ensure that changes unrelated to this patch will remain undisturbed.
- As the root user, navigate to the patch-unpack directory you created when installing the patch, (if that directory no longer exists, first unpack the patch again).
- Run the uninstall command: