This profile monitors a SMTP server on a Windows server using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). Nagios Remote Plugin Executor (NRPE) is used by the Nagios server to communicate with the WMI proxy server. This proxy server queries the monitored Windows server for measurements and status using WMI.
Additionally, you may want to refer to the WMI documentation. This project consists of a collection of script monitors (.vbs for starters) that use the Microsoft .Net Framework and WMI to retrieve performance data from remote Windows hosts without the need for agents on the remote hosts.
- Service - Definitions in Monarch are stored under this name.
- Command Line - Service command name with arguments to be passed to the plugin.
- Plugin Command Line - Plugin script called by Nagios for this Service.
- Extended Info - The Extended Service Info definition, typically used for generating graphs.
Command lines displayed below are intended to be single line commands. Service Command Line Plugin Command Line Extended Info tcp_smtp check_smtp!3!5 $USER1$/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w "$ARG1$" -c "$ARG2$" number_graph wmi_service_SMTPSVC check_wmi_service!SMTPSVC $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $USER21$ -t 60 -c get_service -a "$HOSTADDRESS$" "$ARG1$" percent_graph
This package includes the following files:
Plugins Scripts on the GroundWork Server
WMI Scripts on the WMI Proxy Server
Performance Graphing Programs
GroundWork Monitor includes many monitoring profiles for a variety of devices, systems and applications. Profiles already imported on a new GroundWork installation include Service Ping, SNMP Network, and SSH UNIX. The GroundWork Monitor Configuration tool is used to import updated Profiles and Profiles that require additional setup; the Profile XML file and its companion Performance Configuration definition file. Services can also be imported in addition to Service Profiles in the Profile Importer. The import process is documented under GROUNDWORK PROFILES > How to import profiles.
This section contains detail settings used by this Profile. These parameters can be altered with the Configuration tool.
Command parameters are in the Configuration Services section with the following names and default values.
- Uses check_smtp plugin to connect to port 25 of $HOSTADDRESS$, sends "HELO servername" and searches for '250 .*' in the beginning of the SMTP server output.
- Default warning threshold is a 3 second response time.
- $ARG1$ - Warning seconds
- Default critical threshold is a 5 second response time.
- $ARG2$ - Critical seconds
- Uses check_nrpe plugin to connect to NRPE on $USER21$ and execute the get_service command as defined in the nrpe.cfg against the host $HOSTADDRESS$.
- $ARG1$ - Service Name (not Display Name!)
- OK if service is running
- CRITICAL is service is stopped.
- UNKNOWN is service is not installed.
The following parameters are used to generate performance charts. These parameters are set using the Configuration>Performance tool in GroundWork Monitor.
- Graphs response time of SMTP server.
- Nagios service description must contain the string "tcp_smtp".
The steps are:
- The nrpe.cfg file on the Windows server maps commands issued by the GroundWork server to scripts in the c:\nrpe_nt directory. Commands issued by this profile are installed with this package. If new NRPE commands are added, this file must be modified. Go to the GroundWork Support Portal - GroundWork Connect at www.groundworkconnect.com and search for Installing GroundWork WMI NRPE.
- The WMI proxy server must be in the same domain as target monitored Windows server, and must have administrator rights.