This profile monitors a Windows LDAP Server using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). Nagios Remote Plugin Executor (NRPE) is used by the Nagios server to communicate with the WMI proxy server. This proxy server queries the monitored Windows server for measurements and status using WMI.
Additionally, you may want to refer to the WMI documentation. This project consists of a collection of script monitors (.vbs for starters) that use the Microsoft .Net Framework and WMI to retrieve performance data from remote Windows hosts without the need for agents on the remote hosts.
- Service - Definitions in Monarch are stored under this name.
- Command Line - Service command name with arguments to be passed to the plugin.
- Plugin Command Line - Plugin script called by Nagios for this Service.
- Extended Info - The Extended Service Info definition, typically used for generating graphs.
Command lines displayed below are intended to be single line commands.
Service Command Line Plugin Command Line EXTENDED INFO tcp_ldap check_ldap!3!5!dc=groundworkopensource,
$USER1$/check_ldap -t 60 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w "$ARG1$" -c "$ARG2$" -b "$ARG3$" -3 number_graph
This package includes the following files:
Plugins Scripts on the GroundWork Server
WMI Scripts on the WMI Proxy Server
GroundWork Monitor includes many monitoring profiles for a variety of devices, systems and applications. Profiles already imported on a new GroundWork installation include Service Ping, SNMP Network, and SSH UNIX. The GroundWork Monitor Configuration tool is used to import updated Profiles and Profiles that require additional setup; the Profile XML file and its companion Performance Configuration definition file. Services can also be imported in addition to Service Profiles in the Profile Importer. The import process is documented under GROUNDWORK PROFILES > How to import profiles.
This section contains detail settings used by this Profile. These parameters can be altered with the Configuration tool.
Command parameters are in the Configuration Services section with the following names and default values. Any bolded arguments MUST be set before this Service Profile will work properly.
- Attempts to bind anonymously to the specified DN.
- The default LDAP version is 3. If you wish to change this to version 3, use Configuration to add ?-3? to the check_ldap command.
- $ARG1$ - Warning threshold response time in seconds (default is 3 seconds).
- $ARG2$ - Critical threshold response time in seconds (default is 5 seconds).
- $ARG3$ - LDAP base. (For example, ou=my unit, o=my org, c=at ; default is dc=groundworkopensource,dc=com)
The following parameters are used to generate performance charts. These parameters are set using the Configuration>Performance tool in GroundWork Monitor.
- Graphs the response time of binding to the LDAP server.
- Nagios service description must contain the string tcp_ldap.
The steps are:
- The nrpe.cfg file on the Windows server maps commands issued by the GroundWork server to scripts in the c:\nrpe_nt directory. Commands issued by this profile are installed with this package. If new NRPE commands are added, this file must be modified. Go to the GroundWork Support Portal - GroundWork Connect at www.groundworkconnect.com and search for Installing GroundWork WMI NRPE.
- The WMI proxy server must be in the same domain as target monitored Windows server, and must have administrator rights.