Configuration Service Profiles define a set of standard Services that can be applied toward any Host. If a change to the standard is required, you may modify the Profile then apply the Profile to all Hosts. This process can be performed in a few minutes. The GroundWork Monitor Configuration tool is used to import additional Profiles; the Profile XML file and its companion Performance Configuration definition file; see Importing Profiles Importing Profiles. For each Profile, graphs may be defined to track measurement values in certain Services. GroundWork Monitor is distributed with the Service Ping, SNMP Network, and SSH UNIX profiles plus an extended library of monitoring profiles for a variety of devices, systems and applications.
- SSH Profiles - These profiles use SSH to monitor services on a remote device and communicate back information to the GroundWork monitoring server. GroundWork's standard method of monitoring UNIX servers is to have the GroundWork Monitor server connect to the monitored server using SSH (Secure Shell) and execute specially written plug-ins that return operating system and application properties. These plug-ins are included with GroundWork Monitor and numerous additional plug-ins are available in the open source community.
- WMI Profiles - These profiles use the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) protocol to monitor Windows Services. Nagios Remote Plugin Executor (NRPE) is used by the Nagios Server to communicate with the WMI Proxy Server. This Proxy Server queries the monitored Windows Server for measurements and status using WMI. GroundWork uses an agent (NRPE) and a set of VBS scripts installed on a single Windows Server to communicate with monitored Windows Servers for operating system and application properties. The communication from the Proxy to the monitored Windows Servers is based on WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) from Microsoft. WMI is installed on all currently supported Microsoft operating systems and is therefore 'agentless' making adding servers to GroundWork Monitor very easy. The VBS scripts allow access to thousands of properties on the monitored server. The GroundWork Monitor distributed WMI-ALL profile consist of all the profiles with that specific monitoring type.
- NRPE Profiles- These profiles use NRPE to monitor Windows services. These profiles allow for monitoring Windows operating system and application properties where the GroundWork Monitor server communicates directly with each monitored server and not through any proxy. An agent (NRPE or Nagios Remote Plug-in Executor) is installed on each monitored server along with VBS scripts that are accessed through the agent from the GroundWork Monitor server. These scripts are identical to those used in the WMI profiles. They allow access to thousands of properties on the monitored server. The GroundWork Monitor distributed NRPE-ALL profile consists of all the profiles with that specific monitoring type.
- Local Profiles - The Local profiles are used to monitor aspects of the GroundWork monitoring server.
- NSClient Profiles - NSClient is used to monitor Windows services. An older monitoring agent called NSClient is still widely used in the Nagios community. It is installed on any Windows server requiring monitoring. The NSClient profiles use functions of NSClient to access operating system and application properties. The GroundWork Monitor server communicates directly with each NSClient agent. One drawback of NSClient is that extending it requires rebuilding the NSClient agent from source code, but this is a useful service for legacy installations.
- Remote Service Profiles - The following protocols monitor various services on a remote server. Some monitoring in GroundWork Monitor is done without the use of installed agents, or at least agents installed as part of GroundWork Monitor. Profiles in this category communicate with monitored servers over the network using common protocols such as ICMP, TCP, and in the case of Oracle, the SQL protocol is used.
- SNMP and Other Profiles - Theses profiles use SNMP to monitor services on a remote device and communicate back information to the GroundWork monitoring server. Syslog Profile - Includes the service checks necessary to process incoming syslog messages from remote servers within GroundWork Monitor.
- Distributed GroundWork Monitor Profiles
- Importing Profiles and Services